Why Blog?

Why add our blog to the multitude already in existence? Julie and Marie are dedicated to growing as artists and creating excellent art. Like others who are self-employed, artists often work alone. It’s easy to get sidetracked by household duties, other responsibilities and activities, and whatever moods come across us. A blog in which we set up creative challenges keeps us accountable to each other and those who participate in our blog, creates an opportunity for an online artist community to form in which we can encourage and help each other, and gives our art visibility beyond our geographical community. We hope we inspire you, you inspire us, and we all grow and prosper as artists.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Transparent Watercolor Society Entries

Marie  Over the holidays, Julie and I gave ourselves the assignment of entering the Transparent Watercolor Society of America’s annual exhibition.   I began my paintings on January 3, when the kids went back to school, which didn’t leave me much time with a January 15 deadline.  I had known for some time I wanted one of the paintings to be from a photo I took of my brother many years ago.  The photo is wonderful—he’s smoking a cigar and you can see bits of his face smirking through the smoke.  I’ve attempted to paint it a few times before, and while this effort was significantly better than earlier ones, and while I really like the composition, colors and values, I am not happy with the technical details within the face.  It ended up, in my opinion, overworked and muddy. 

Uncle Mike 15.5 x 17.5"
Transparent Watercolor

While at a friend’s house over the holidays, I ran into a black and white photo taken by a friend of a high school swimmer adjusting her swim cap before a meet.  I loved the photo, got permission to paint it, and while I feel my painting is technically sound, in my opinion, it lacks pizzazz.  It just sort of turned out boring.  I’d love to know what I missed in the painting that I saw in the photo, and I think in time I will figure it out.  For now, I will get started on my paintings for next year now rather than waiting until two weeks before the deadline.

Swimmer 12.5 x 20"


Julie Entering the TWSA competition was difficult this year. I had worked very little in watercolor the past year and concentrated more on oil and pastels. In a last minute effort I decided to try a fall scene from a photo I had taken in southern Indiana. The photo is beautiful and I had a hard time portraying how vibrant and sunny it was that day. I had previously painted the scene in oil with a palette knife 
with some success and am currently working on the pastel version. It will be fun to compare the three when I finish. 

Fall Around the Bend 14 x 29

My second entry is of three banged up, but colorful, wooden boats docked in a coastal town in Chile. My good friend took the photo and gave me permission to paint the scene. I am happier with this painting but also put a lot more thought and time into it. I have also painted this photo successfully in pastels.

Chilean Boats 10 x 14

I agree with Marie- next year- be more prepared 
and start early!
Assignment for next week- texture

No comments:

Post a Comment